15 September 2013

Third Day's the "Charm"

When MJ picked me up from our friend's house around 1 on Sunday afternoon, I said, "I think today's my bad chemo day."




I was a wreck. Feverish, cold, exhausted, and all I wanted to do was curl up in a tiny little ball and sleep. MJ had plans to watch her football game at our regular watering hole, so she dropped herself off there and I took the car home. Once I got home, I basically melted into the couch for about 4 hours. I only woke when MJ came home with some friends from the bar. She took one look at me and knew I wasn't feeling well. I took my temperature, 102 degrees. I normally run between 98.1 & 98.4.
I must have looked awful, because MJ promptly freaked out. We ended up calling our JBB-reserves in for assistance.

For those who don't know, JBB is kind of our resident-dorm-mother type. If you've got a dilemma, you've got a craving for anything pumpkin-spice flavored,  you need advice/mothering and your own mom is not available, or if you just need a good bacon recipe, she's the one to call... The first thing JBB did when MJ called her, was to say, "I'm about 25 minutes away. I'll be there soon."

She walked in, saying, "Look at me, missy. You can't go-and-do like nothing's wrong when you've just had chemo. WTH?! Bad, Lola." Then she got my fever down, sponged me off with icy-cold water, made sure I had fluids & dinner, before she flitted away on her sparkle-horse, or glitter broom, or whatever angelic creatures ride these days. Most importantly, she make MJ stop freaking out.


Today's take-aways?
1. Everyone needs a JBB.
2. Chemo doesn't fuck around.

No comments:

Post a Comment