06 September 2013

Final Countdown

After weeks of waiting, eleventy tests/biopsies/doctor visits, I finally got my official chemo schedule today. I start chemotherapy on 12 August 2013, at 9:30am. The first treatment should last until about 3pm. I have to pick up a round of steroids to help with some of the side effects of some of the chemo cocktail.


The preliminary results of my bone biopsy indicate that the breast cancer has spread to my bones, which is not a big surprise. We (my doctors, my nurse-aunt, and I) were expecting that. I'm still waiting for the type-testing info to come back, but I'm pretty certain that it'll be triple-positive again....which is a good thing. Of all the cancers to get, I've been assured, this is the one. It's not great that it's metastatic, but no one said life was fair. I can only rely on my creativity, uniqueness, nerve, and talent to get me through the next 18+ weeks. (Bonus points for catching the Drag Race reference above!!)

I'm trying to fit in as much fun and social interaction I can in the next few days, because I know after that first chemotherapy treatment, I won't be able to do all the things I normally do. 
My energy level is a source of concern for me, because I already have the disadvantage of narcolepsy, so I'm already tired most of the time.  Stress exacerbates the condition, and I've been under quite a bit of stress lately. The drugs I take for my narcolepsy (and ADD, incidentally) aren't really cutting it anymore, but I'm just going to have to put my big girl panties on and deal with it... and probably take it a little easier on myself. 

I'm planning to skip work the day after chemotherapy, simply because I'm not sure how my body will react to it. All of you who've asked me and MJ to call them or let them know if we need anything - now's your chance to volunteer:
1. I will be basically unaccompanied to chemo. I'll be at the Lexington Oncology office from 9:30 - 3pm on Thursday. I will have Netflix, my Kindle, my phone, and free WiFi to occupy my time, but if anyone wants to donate and hour or so throughout the day, feel free to stop by and visit.
2. I'm staying home from work on Friday. MJ will be at a conference, and I will be unsupervised, which makes her a little nervous. If anyone would like to sit with me for any part of Friday, let me & MJ know. I'll probably need something to eat at some point during the day, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to want to cook anything...
3. Saturday & Sunday - want to watch some football with me? Guess where I'll be.

3 comments:

  1. What's the final drug list for chemo? I can't remember if it was 3 or 4, and what their names are. My brain is like a sieve these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing, I've found, is to sleep as much as possible during infusions. I stay up late and skip all stimulants. Sometimes I take benadryl instead of the usual claritin they give at the start to stave off allergic reactions, and I just rest. It's become something enjoyable, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me... I need to ask about my chemo cocktail. I know they were probably going to switch out the carboplatin for another drug, because of the bone involvement. I'll post on it today...

    ReplyDelete