31 October 2013

Mid Treatment, Nadir Blood Work!!

This week has been another rough week.
My vision, especially night vision, has been so foggy that watching TV is a chore, and driving is pretty much off the list. This symptom started from the first chemo, lasts about 5 days, and then fades, but as my treatments progress, I've noticed that this symptom (and others) are getting more pronounced, last a little longer and are just a little harder to deal with. Such is the nature of chemo, I keep reminding myself. "I'm halfway there" is my new mantra.


Another really annoying and uncomfortable symptom: BLOAT.
Seriously, I felt like I was carrying around a 10-gallon barrel of extra fluid in my belly last night. It was the sensation and look of being very heavily pregnant... both of which I've successfully avoided for the past 37 years, until lately, where I find that I can actually start feeling this weight sloshing around my belly. I feel gross, and it's stupid, vain, and insecure, but I can't really help it.
I do have some diuretics, which I'm sparingly taking, but the past 3 days have been so ridiculous with bloat, that I've taken the diuretic every day. I'm very careful to drink water to compensate, and not get dehydrated, which sounds completely wrong to do, but I'm trying to rid myself not only of the excess fluid, but the chemo drugs still dancing around in my system. I'm still pretty bloated right now, and most of my clothes don't fit, and my joints ache, and my knees won't bend past 90 degrees because of all the excess fluid.  My left ankle, which is notoriously wonky anyway, is even more temperamental lately. I find myself stepping "wrong" and it buckles. I should buy stock in SalonPas, since I've been wearing their patches on that ankle for weeks now.

Anyway, I'm at the oncologist's office getting my labs done after my 3rd chemo treatment. I'm officially halfway finished, and I have my fingers crossed that once again, I don't need any additional shots. I'm feeling pretty crappy, but my nurse, Sharon, says she'd think it strange if I felt great. Me, too.

It  turns out that my WBCs are looking fairly decent, but my Neutrophils (which are immature WBCs, newly forming) are low. Good news: they have a shot for that. Bad news: it causes bone and joint pain, which I am unfortunately familiar with. The verdict: Nurse Sharon says no hanging around with goblins tonight!!
Happy Halloween, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment