26 October 2013

Happy Birthday, Lola!! Love, Chemo.

Thursday, I had chemo. I'm officially halfway through my 6 rounds, which means (for the math deficient people) I've only got 3 more rounds to go. My last round of chemo will be a belated Christmas present, much like this one was a belated birthday present.

My mom took me to chemo, and sat with me for the first half or so, and my brother took over at lunch. Everything went smoothly, and all my blood work came back great, once again. Steroids make my WBC (white blood cell count) elevated. Those were higher than normal, but it's necessary considering I'm systematically being poisoned every three weeks. The steroids, incidentally, also help with some other side effects from the chemo infusions, so mostly, I take it for all that.
After I was released from chemo, my brother and I went around to some of the local health food stores to see if they will carry his lovely grass-fed beef. He got one booking and a call-back, so fingers crossed for him!! It was really nice to spend the afternoon with him and the morning with mom.
After that, I went home, ate some dinner and crashed early. I actually slept very well, considering my raging insomnia lately. I only woke up twice, that I remember - once to take some anti-nausea pills, and another time to get a drink of water and I was right back out again.

MJ woke me up with breakfast Friday (birthday!!) morning, with a sausage, egg, and cheese croissant and a lovely iced coffee from Dunkin' Donuts. My birthday candles wouldn't stick in the sandwich, so she lit them and held them while singing "Happy Birthday" so I could blow them out. I was amused.
She went to work, and I crashed on the couch again, dozing while I watched a few movies on Netflix. Apparently, I needed the sleep.
MJ & K took me for Mexican for a late-ish lunch, and I stuffed my face... I even ate fried cheesecake for dessert. I forgot my candles, though, sadly.
I realized that I needed to get some prescriptions refilled, mainly for the steroids that I've been taking much longer than we all expected, so I went to run some errands after lunch. I even finished getting Halloween costume supplies for MJ and myself. After that, I was pretty much at my limit. I managed to stop by the pub, see some friends for a birthday beer or two, have some quick dinner before I finally called it a night.
Once again, I slept great all night, and well into Saturday morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment