06 January 2014

Recap From Last Week

This is a late post, recapping last week, because I honestly just felt too awful to write anything. I was sick, like you think of people on chemo being sick. I felt nauseated all the time, I threw up pretty much everything I ate or drank from Thursday until today (Monday,) and I was in a moderate amount of pain through it all. I felt like I got hit by a truck.

Also:
     My uncle died on 12/30/2013. It was fairly sudden. He got sick, then sicker, went into the hospital, and just never got better. I couldn't visit because my counts were too low to be exposed to anything, and I already felt crappy anyway. When he died, and the funeral was set for Friday, I couldn't even go to that.
     I lost it on Thursday night. I was still sick. I had labs, which weren't  great again, so they gave me another shot for my white blood cell count that day. My bones ached, so I was on Vicodin. I was so upset that I still felt sick and couldn't be with my family, I felt so guilty. I cried, which doesn't happen very often.
     I was able to go visit my aunt and cousins (who were still in town) on Sunday night, even though I still felt pretty terrible. I was glad that I was able, because it made me feel a little better about the situation. Keep in mind that everyone was very understanding about my absence at the funeral and the visitation, and no one made me feel bad about it -- that was all me & my ridiculous behavior.

I had more labs today (Monday,) and they all came back pretty good. I mentioned to my infusion nurse, Sharon, that I had been feeling nauseated and awful, so she hooked me up for some fluids & anti-nausea medicine. My labs showed that my potassium levels were low, so instead of getting rather giant pills to swallow, which may cause nausea, the pharmacy mixed up an infusion of that too. I left after 2.5 hours feeling like a new person. I even ate real food!!

No comments:

Post a Comment