21 October 2014

Radioactive... Almost...

I went to see the radiation oncology nurse & doctor today. Nurse asked me lots of questions, about my medical history, which is becoming pretty obscene at this point, and about my general health (which was pretty fantastic before cancer, but whatever...) Doctor did the same tests that my aunt and my oncologist did to test my balance, see if I favored a side of my body, etc.
Both Nurse & Doctor were great.

I'm now scheduled for 15 sessions of whole brain radiation, then we'll test again & see how I look. By that, I mean I'll have another MRI & see if my brain looks like it should look. Fingers crossed. Again.

So, of course that means that I'm having dreams about being a drooling, mouth-breathing fool after "they" irradiate my brain. 15 times.

I'm told there are very few side effects. I'm also warned that I'll probably lose my hair again. Although the doctor said, "You'll lose your hair." And the nurse said, "You know, that depends on each individual patient. Some lose all their hair. Some just thin out. Some lose patches."
So there's that. Maybe I'll use this as an excuse to dye it some funky colors? Or probably, I'll just shave it again and suck it up.

Of course, my hair is *just* long enough to start really curling up. It's about 3 inches long now. Seems a damn shave to have to lose it again...

So, I'll leave you with my new motto:
Better than the alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment