25 November 2013

CT Ready

My breakfast this morning was "mocha" flavored Readi-CAT barium "smoothie."  The quotes are mine, not theirs.

My doctor's office gave me an instruction sheet to prep for the CT scan. It said to take the Readi-CAT 1 1/2 hours before the procedure. It was chalky and metallic-tasting, and might be misconstrued as "mocha" if I had completely forgotten what chocolate and coffee taste like. It was not the breakfast I was looking for.
The instruction sheet also cautioned that I might have to drink more Readi-CAT before the procedure. 

And, I probably should have taken an anti-nausea pill with it. 

I wasn't supposed to eat anything this morning, but I was so hungry when I woke up - borderline HANGRY - I was looking for loopholes...  Other than my "smoothie," I'm sad to report that there were none. I did drink 1/2 cup of coffee, because I figured *that* wasn't technically "eating" anything. I'm sitting here now, daydreaming of what I will be able to eat once I get this CT scan done. 

Update:
I had to drink another "smoothie" once they called me back to prep for the CT scan. It was equally "delicious;" it was also equally chilled.
It took 45 minutes to get my port accessed and to get set up for the CT scan.
The CT scan itself?? 7 minutes. The contrast dye was HOT going through my port. I felt like I was on fire from the inside, but not in a terrible way, because it was so COLD today. It also made me feel like I'd peed myself a little. I was warned about this sensation, and I assure you that I didn't pee myself today.

Lucky for me, the radiology people left my port accessed so that I could walk over to my oncologist's office for all my labs.

Blood work was good today. No shots needed!!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment